Do you work at a site covered by Comcare? Check out the Comcare Worker's Compensation Delegates guide.
Need to take sick or carer's leave? Know your rights - Personal Leave FAQ
There is an AMWU HSRs Facebook page where HSRs can share their stories and information - www.amwu.org.au/hsrgroup
- AMWU COVID-19 Controls Checklist
- Managing risks associated with COVID-19 - Industry (Health and Safety) Standard
- 'Work Shouldn't Hurt' survey results
- Health and Safety survey poster
- Accident/incident -useful checklists - for internal use at a workplace
- Was the accident/incident investigation effective?
- Asthma and work
- Back Injuries
- Basic Health and Safety Rights
- Bullying Survey
- Beware spray painting mists
- Cancer and work
- For your doctor: cancer and the link to work
- For your doctor: cancer was it caused by work
- Can you hear?
- Dangers of Diesel Fumes
- Dangers of Silica Dust
- Discomfort Survey
- Food industry - are your lungs protected?
- Hazards of Welding Fumes
- Health and Safety Reps and committees - see NSW flyer on how much more H&S Reps can do
- Health and Safety Rights Poster
- Health Monitoring for Workers
- Working in heat
- Injured at work - Do & Don't - wallet card
- Injured at Work Poster
- Laboratories - Dusty work in Assay labs
- Medical checkups - asked for by the employer
- Medical appointments - your rights
- Noise - Listen Up - Booklet
- Noise - its possible to engineer out noise
- Removing the risks - the basic approach
- Shift Work and Fatigue Fact Sheet
- Guidelines for working shiftwork
- Record of Consultation for NSW and ACT
- Record of Consultation for NT, SA, Queensland, Tasmania and Comcare
- Record of Consultation for Victoria
- Risk management process for manual tasks
- Serious Injury or fatality checklist
- Shiftwork and Fatigue Survey
- Sprains and Strains
- Shoulder injuries
- Welding and cancer - information from an industry body
- Welding work can make you feel sick
- Welding - safety of on-site structural welds - this is from the Victorian government, as a result of Vic branch AMWU site visits and campaigns
- Working at Heights
- Work and Dermatitis
- Worker's rights & hazardous manual handling FAQs
It's No Accident - open up the centre pages. Put it up on your union notice board
AMWU 2019 Health and Safety Booklet
Individual chapters - these are information to help you start thinking about what needs to be done
- Alcohol and other Drugs
- Cancer and work
- Confined spaces
- Contractor safety
- Electrical safety
- Exhaust and diesel fumes
- Hazardous chemicals
- Hot and cold
- Lung hazards
- Machinery and Equipment
- Mobile Plant - traffic management
- Respiratory Protection
- Shiftwork Fatigue hours of work
- Spray Painting
- Women's Health and Safety
Unloading product from shipping containers or crates can be very hazardous business. Members in Queensland took action to protect their safety. Further information about the risks can be found on the SafeWork Australia website.
The interim report into the so called re-emergence of "black lung" in Queensland mines is clear - over decades, mining companies and governments failed to protect workers: It did not “re-emerge” in 2015 but was merely re-identified, after more than 30 years of responsible Queensland authorities failing to look for it or properly identify it. Read the interim report.
We are coming up to International Workers Memorial Day - April 28th - union activists are essential in improving health and safety at work. See some new research in mining industries - four basic worker rights are essential:
- The right to refuse to do dangerous work.
- The right to education and training.
- The right to information.
- The right to representation and participation.
Information from world health and safety expert - Dr Takala - shows that cancer is the most common work related disease.
Cancer Council of Australia - information about diesel, welding and silica: Cancer and Work.
As a result of 60 worksites visits and lots of activity by AMWU officials and members, WorkSafe Victoria has issued a fact sheet on the safety of onsite welding. The fact sheet is useful around the country. Check it out here.
Victorian Ombudsman brings down damning report on Victoria Workers Compensation insurers.
Links to useful web sites.
Victorian union site for OHS Reps
A Union friendly service: Workers Health Centre Sydney
International health and safety site with lots of information: Hazards
Work and cancer: Cancer Hazards
Government H&S information, with links to State and Territory health and safety websites: SafeWork Australia
Injured Workers Support Network: based in NSW, the website has links to groups across the country.