Electing a HSR? Here are some useful resources
We've created a handy guide on how to elect a HSR here.
You can use these forms when forming work groups and electing HSRs:
- Notice to employer/PCBU to negotiate work group
- Nomination form for HSR election
- Notice for election of HSR
- Notification to employer/PCBU on the election of HSR
- Notification to AMWU of election result
- Request for paid leave to attend approved training
Creating work group to elect HSRs has to be done according to the relevant laws.
Make sure HSRs are elected by workers and not appointed by management.
Work health and safety laws give health and safety representatives (HSRs) the right to choose the training course they want to attend – including an approved course run by a union.
To request training:
- Inform your employer you want to attend training
- Inform your employer of your preferred course (one conducted by a union/union's approved provider) and invite them to suggest alternatives
- Consider the alternatives and (if relevant) give reasons for refusing.
This process comes from a decision of the NSW Industrial Relations Commission. It does not apply to HSRs in Victoria and WA.
These courses are approved by the relevant government agency:
NSW: Contact HOSTA on 1300 046 782.
QLD: Contact our our branch on (07) 3236 2550.
VIC: Contact the AMWU on (03) 9230 5700 or [email protected].
WA: Enrol through Unity Training or contact (08) 9227 7809. One-day WHS courses for delegates available.