Sign our petition to support a better life for FIFO workers.
On 18 June 2015, a Western Australian parliamentary committee investigating the mental health impact of fly-in, fly-out (FIFO) work handed down a series of recommendations to better support the health and well being of FIFO workers. The Impact of FIFO Work Practices on Mental Health: Final Report found that FIFO workers are at significantly greater risk of suffering from mental health issues.
The final report made a number of recommendations including:
- Encouraging family and worker friendly rosters such as even time or 8 days on 6 days off;
- Developing a FIFO Code of Practice which emphasises worker access to high quality and reliable communications technology;
- Minimisation of motelling accommodation practices, and where possible, its abolition;
- Expanding the duty of care provisions under occupational health and safety legislation to cover incidents which occur within employer provided accommodation.
We have prepared this petition to the WA Parliament to encourage the adoption of these basic minimum conditions for our tens or thousands of WA FIFO workers.
2) Print it out;
3) Talk to friends, family and workmates about why they should sign;
4) Gather as many signatures as possible PLEASE NOTE All fields except email must be completed to be accepted by the Parliament;
5) Return completed petitions to the AMWU, 121 Royal St EAST PERTH by Friday September 2;
IMPORTANT: Please note the WA Parliament will only accept ORIGINAL signed petitions. No faxes or photocopies are allowed.