For the last three years rail workers' entitlement to gold passes for 25 years of service has been under threat. This has been a longstanding condition for QR and Aurizon workers, provided in recognition of a quarter of a century commitment to the industry.
Recently, the Queensland Labor Government delivered on a 2010 commitment to provide gold pass entitlements for former QR workers transferred to Aurizon.
We congratulate the government on taking decisive action in delivering on the agreement for these workers' long-held conditions.
This win proves that when we work together as a collective with progressive governments we can achieve great outcomes for union members.
Who is eligible for a Gold Pass?
- Employees who have attained a minimum of 25 years continuous service with Aurizon Operations Limited; Aurizon Network Pty Ltd; Australia Eastern Railroad Pty Ltd (collectively referred to as Aurizon); QR National Limited; QR Limited and/or Queensland Rail on or before 31 December 2013
- Partner and dependant/s of employees who attained 25 years continuous service with Aurizon Operations Limited; Aurizon Network Pty Ltd; Australia Eastern Railroad Pty Ltd (collectively referred to as Aurizon); QR National Limited; QR Limited and/or Queensland Rail on or before 31 December 2013
Dependants are defined as:
- Children up to 16 years of age who are dependent on the employee for financial support.
- Children between the ages of 16 and 21 years, dependent on the employee for financial support and full-time students at an approved educational institution.
- Any other financially dependent person such as a family member with a disability outside the designated age group.
Partner is defined as:
A person who lives with the employee on a genuine domestic basis, as a defacto (for a period of six months or more) or married couple. This includes same sex spouses or partners.
What are gold pass holders entitled to?
Gold pass holders are entitled to a go access card for private use on City Network services and paper tickets for first class travel, seat only, on all Traveltrain services (no berths/sleepers).
Employees who are dismissed from Queensland Rail for disciplinary breaches or whose employment ends voluntarily following a disciplinary matter, shall immediately relinquish all Queensland Rail passes regardless of years of service and shall return any passes held to the issuing officer.
How do I claim my Gold Pass?
An employee and/or partner and/or dependant will be required to provide evidence of 25 years continuous service as outlined above, on application for a 25 Year Service Ex-Employee Pass. This can be a print out of their employee history which will need to be obtained from Aurizon.
If you believe you are eligible for a Gold pass, we encourage you to claim your pass as soon as possible. Please contact Aurizon for your employment history, ex-Queensland Rail employees can then contact corporate passes directly via: firstname.lastname@example.org or on (07) 3072 8894.
What if I already have a pass or still work for QR?
Don’t worry, continuing QR employees and retired QR employees will retain all entitlements to gold rail passes.
How do I let my workmates know that they are eligible?