Respected. Skilled. Professional.
Are you getting the respect and conditions you have a right to?
Most auto technicians are employed under an Award - the Vehicle Manufacturing, Repair, Services and Retail Award 2010.
This is a legal document that states what your rights are at work - including pay, allowances, conditions and dispute resolution processes. All auto technicians are covered by this Award unless you have an individual contract or an Enterprise Agreement.
Some auto technicians are covered by an Enterprise Agreement, which is specific to their employer. Enterprise Agreements usually afford better rates of pay and better conditions than the Award, and must be negotiated with an employer.
We have helped many auto technicians negotiate for an Enterprise Agreement, and also assisted in enforcing rights under the Award.
Do you know what you are entitled you?*
Some of your rights under the Award include:
- 4 weeks paid annual leave a year
- 10 days (paid) personal leave per year (sick or carer's leave)
- Fair notice of termination or redundancy, and redundancy pay
- A tool allowance if you are required to provide your own tools
- A meal allowance if you unexpectedly have to work overtime of at least an hour and half
- An allowance (additional salary) if you are the trained first aid officer for your workplace
* This information is general in nature and should not be read as individual legal or industrial advice. These rights are for full time employees - casuals and some part time workers may have different circumstances. Please speak to us about the specifics if you have a question about your personal circumstances or rights.